Resistance portrayed in rap lyrics

Forms of cultural expression can be critical tools used to raise public awareness of social issues and enlist a form of change. Old school rap of the 90’s had a clear political agenda, and was used to express resistance of the mainstream oppressive society.

tumblr_mc623dcE2p1qjm9bpo1_500

“Rather be stuck up than stuck down

Heres the difference

Against Mr. Man informants and government

While real people starve and can’t pay their rent

They [you] seriously don’t mean what you meant

I ain’t tricked deceived paid off inagreement

Somebody planned it

Glad y’all understand it

Those that don’t

Headharded like granite

We look out for them too

And don’t take ‘em for granted

Like said;

Somebody planned it.”

-Public Enemy

“No way your that scared of my hoodie

People everywhere getting snared over hoodies

Seen a couple pairs get aired by the hoodies.

But

They don’t care

My skin’s bared under hoodies”

-Public Enemy

“And since we all came from a woman

Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman

I wonder why we take from our women

Why we rape our women, do we hate our women?

I think it’s time to kill for our women

Time to heal our women, be real to our women

And if we don’t we’ll have a race of babies

That will hate the ladies, that make the babies

And since a man can’t make one

He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one

So will the real men get up

I know you’re fed up ladies, but keep your head up”

-2pac

I see no changes. Wake up in the morning and I ask myself,

“Is life worth living? Should I blast myself?”

I’m tired of bein’ poor and even worse I’m black.

My stomach hurts, so I’m lookin’ for a purse to snatch.

Cops give a damn about a negro? Pull the trigger, kill a [explicit], he’s a hero.

Give the crack to the kids, who the hell cares? One less hungry mouth on the welfare.

First ship ’em dope and let ’em deal to brothers.

Give ’em guns, step back, and watch ’em kill each other.

I see no changes. All I see is racist faces.

Misplaced hate makes disgrace to races we under.

I wonder what it takes to make this one better place…

let’s erase the wasted.

Take the evil out the people, they’ll be acting right.

‘Cause both black and white are smokin’ crack tonight.

And only time we chill is when we kill each other.

It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other.

And still I see no changes. Can’t a brother get a little peace?

There’s war on the streets and the war in the Middle East.

Instead of war on poverty,

they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.

And I ain’t never did a crime I ain’t have to do.

But now I’m back with the facts givin’ ’em back to you.

Don’t let ’em jack you up, back you up, crack you up and pimp smack you up.

You gotta learn to hold ya own.

-2Pac

Comments

1. It’s wonderful that you are getting ideas from this post as
    well as from our argument made at this time.

2. It’s hard to find well-informed people about this subject, but you
    sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

3. When do you want me to start? buspar 10mg day Bah was believed to be in Burkina Faso when he was placed under a U.N. travel ban in 2004, but U.N. experts located him in Freetown, the Sierra Leone capital, earlier this year. A report from the experts published May 31 this year included his Freetown address.

4. I love this site salmeterol dosage “It’s a two-day single-elimination format with all proceeds going to a scholarship fund, which will benefit a student from the Hampton Bays area. All are invited for a good time. Thanks, you’re the best, Mighty. In fact, when I see you in Saratoga next week, I insist you let me pick up all your checks, for all the good you do, including mentioning C.J. Sullivan’s in Bayside. They all love you there. Stop by any time. Drinks are on us.”

5. I work here healthyhabitwyo.com You’d think that becoming an animal trainer would require a marine biology degree of some kind or intense training. Most of these trainers were hired at a very young age, pulled off the street, and trained by SeaWorld. Meanwhile, Tilikum is sent to Sealand; a water park that is basically unfit for its killer whales. Basically a pool with a concrete barrier where the whales are stored in a steel box at night, Sealand is the type of run down water park that is just waiting for an incident to occur for it to be shut down. That incident occurred in February of 1991 when part-time trainer Keltie Byrne fell into the water and Tilikum ripped her apart in front of an audience.

6. How much will it cost to send this letter to ? vega sport premium protein reviews The little girl and her mother were visiting friends there, but just what Meyer was doing in the apartment with the rifle was unclear. Court records say his fiancee had kicked him out of her place, getting a restraining order, and he listed his current residence as his sister’s home.

7. I’d like to cancel this standing order differin cream uk buy While 41% of commercial rotable waste comes from Manhattan, currently 85% of it is processed in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens. The stuff used to go to Staten Island, until former Mayor Giuliani put a stop to that when Fresh Kills landfill grew 20 stories tall. Now we truck it to other states, an extraordinary waste of fossil fuel and the source of tremendous air pollution.

8. Can you hear me OK? blast xl australia Director general Tony Hall, who has put a £150,000 cap on all future severance payments, has admitted the corporation “lost its way” over severance deals and that they were “not done in accordance with best practice”.

9. Could you send me an application form? maladie de parkinson et viagra Federal officials said conditions such as those listed in the USDA’s letter to Foster Farms are not uncommon in the poultry industry. Samples at the three plants found rates of salmonella in chicken parts on par with industry standards. Whole chickens fared even better.

10. I’d like to pay this cheque in, please tretinoin cream 0.1 acne scars While many U.S. restaurant chains and retailers do not allow firearms on their properties, Starbucks’ policy had been to default to local gun laws, including “open carry” regulations in many U.S. states that allow people to bring guns into stores.

11. A packet of envelopes nizoral cream over the counter cvs Many of the president’s initiatives focus on repayment, both in setting affordable payments and helping struggling borrowers get back on (and stay on) track

12. I’ve got a part-time job steroiden-shop.com betrouwbaar “Srinivasan can take over as BCCI [Board of Control for Cricket in India] president, but we have also formed a new probe panel to investigate the case,” Justice AK Patnaik, one of the two judges who heard the case, said on Tuesday.

13. I’d like to order some foreign currency test x180 canada review Investors, though, could muster some cheer from Facebook’srevenue and profitability track. The social networking sitepulled in $272 million in revenue in 2008 but lost $55 million,according to Facebook’s S-1 document. In 2009, it swung to aprofit of $262 million after increasing its revenue nearlythree-fold to $777 million. Facebook is now solidly profitable.

14. Canada>Canada olanzapine thiolactam On some level, the success of that console would spawn everything that came after, the bad (DRM issues and poorly conceived yearly game releases) and the good (games like The Last of Us) that you see today. Yamauchi had captured a generation, many members of whom are prepared to shell out major dollars in in the coming console war.

15. Nice to meet you levocetirizine hydrochloride tablets dosage A bachelor, Chevedden lives in a rented apartment in Redondo Beach, California. He wears a 1990s-era Timex watch, and frets over postage and printing costs. He is known to arrive at meetings on foot or by bus. But he gets some respect in high places.

16. How long are you planning to stay here? himcolin gel yahoo “To address the clinical and statistical deficiencies identified, the FDA indicated that results from a new clinical trial would need to be submitted, together with at least 12 months of follow-up for all enrolled patients,” the release said.

Speak Your Mind

*